Sunday, September 27, 2009

Tales from the (Movie) Theater: Part 5

Continuation of the series--see Intro, parts 1, 2, 3, 4:

When The Moment Comes...

In my last post in this series, I mentioned my recent interview with my younger brother (who was the senior projectionist at the time I began working at the Huntington Park Warner Theater). Now that we are both in our 50's, and married with children, it was interesting to note his experiences working there and how clear and vivid his reflections were toward that short stint in his (work) life. As well, it was striking to realize the parallels in our two (short) projectionist careers. Previously, I thought he worked there a good while, especially before I arrived. In fact, it only seemed long. But, he only started working there the year before I did (1975).

The rest of the chapter has been updated and relocated to my current blog, found here.

Next up: Transitions (Part 6)
Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

5 comments:

  1. Oh my God...no pun intended. This is so funny. And only funny because I experienced something similar...not the same since I wasn't a projectionist, but similar. Our projectionists didn't have all the other duties you did. We had ushers and whatnot for that. So they ran the movies and that was it. For the closing shift staff they were usually the first folks out (after the ticket sellers). The theaters have become a bit more greedy and keep the concession areas open longer now. As an usher, though, we had the responsibility of walking the theaters before leaving...so walking them after the movie was over, customers gone and lights out. The night I had to walk SILENCE OF THE LAMBS like that, I ran down, checked the exit doors behind the screen and ran back out - and I don't run!! ;) I just wanted to get the heck out of the building because I was sure something would be in that auditorium.

    Thanks for the rememories, Michael! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Laugh at me if you want, but I'm a firm believer that when you experience something like you did in that theatre, there's a reason for it and you should pay attention. Something down in the old primeval lizard brain has registered something your normal senses have missed. Getting the hell outta there - right thing to do. Me, I don't know that I would have stopped to cut the power either.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jen: with your story, I'm now a firm believer that if you work in a movie theater long enough, this type of moment WILL happen to you. It will catch you, so to speak ;-)

    Corey: I'm certainly won't laugh at your thought. It just makes too much sense! If I ever run into a dedicated projectionist blog, I'll bet real $$$ that they'll have a similar tale.

    Thanks, guys, for your comment.

    ReplyDelete
  4. In one of my lotto fantasies I will go back home and buy one of the old theaters and restore it. How I miss that atmosphere, watching from the balcony, now I can barely go to the movies and am spoiled by watching at home with great sound. Oops I forgot, you can never go home. Thanks for them mems.

    ReplyDelete
  5. HnL: I like the way you think. Thanks for your comment.

    ReplyDelete