Friday, June 18, 2010

My Favorite Lines From Favorite Movies Part 5

Horse Soldiers 1959Image via Wikipedia
This is my continuation of an arc I started a while back, containing some of my all-time favorite lines from the movies I never tire of watching. However, you may have noticed I've sprinkled a few lines from some of my favorite oaters in the preceding posts. In this case, since a friend and fellow western admirer (blogger Livius of Ride the High Country) from across the pond, will be taking a break in between posts, I decided to dedicate one solely to that genre to see him off. So, for those times when you need something to say, pardner...
(I share credit with the first one with my movie blogging buddy, J.D.)

The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly
"When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk."
Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid
"Boy, I got vision and the rest of the world wears bifocals."
Once Upon a Time in the West
"How can you trust a man that wears both a belt and suspenders? Man can't even trust his own pants."
Rio Bravo
"When you come back, you holler 'fore you open that door. I'm libel to blast you just for the heck of it."
The Magnificent Seven
"They are all farmers. Farmers talk of nothing but fertilizer and women. I've never shared their enthusiasm for fertilizer. As for women, I became indifferent when I was 83."
The Wild Bunch
"What I like, and what I need, are two different things."
The Horse Soldiers
"As usual, I'm just presenting the grim facts. Colonel Secord doesn't seem to understand that the coffee tastes better when the latrines are dug downstream instead of upstream. How do you like *your* coffee, Colonel?"
Red River
"There's three times in a man's life when he has a right to yell at the moon: when he marries, when his children come, and... and when he finishes a job he had to be crazy to start."
The Life and Times of Judge Roy Bean
"The last time that bear ate a lawyer, he had the runs for thirty-three days."
Unforgiven
The Schofield Kid: [after killing a man for the first time] "It don't seem real... how he ain't gonna never breathe again, ever... how he's dead. And the other one too. All on account of pulling a trigger."
William Munny: "It's a hell of a thing, killing a man. Take away all he's got and all he's ever gonna have."
The Schofield Kid: "Yeah, well, I guess they had it coming."
William Munny: "We all got it coming, kid."
(I share credit for that last one with a number of friends... including Herb)


Technorati Tags:


Powered by ScribeFire.
Enhanced by Zemanta

10 comments:

  1. Some great quotes, there. Here's a few more:

    Tombstone:

    "You called down the thunder. Well, now you've got it!"

    Rumble Fish:

    "And neither, contrary to popular belief, is your brother crazy. He's merely miscast in a play. He was born in the wrong era, on the wrong side of the river... With the ability to be able to do anything that he wants to do and... findin' nothin' that he wants to do. I mean nothing."

    Wall Street:

    "The richest one percent of this country owns half our country's wealth, five trillion dollars. One third of that comes from hard work, two thirds comes from inheritance, interest on interest accumulating to widows and idiot sons; And what I do, stock and real estate speculation. It's bull***t. You got ninety percent of the American public out there with little or no net worth. I create nothing. I own. We make the rules, pal. The news, war, peace, famine, upheaval, the price per paper clip. We pick that rabbit out of the hat while everybody sits out there wondering how the hell we did it. Now you're not naive enough to think we're living in a democracy, are you buddy? It's the free market. And you're a part of it. You've got that killer instinct. Stick around pal, I've still got a lot to teach you."

    ReplyDelete
  2. Another fine set of wonderful movie lines, J.D. Thanks for adding to this.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Some great lines here. Here's another one of my favorites from Butch Cassidy:

    "If he'd just pay me what he's spending to make me stop robbing him, I'd stop robbing him."

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love that first one! "Don't talk." I have to say when a baddie just whips out a gun and shoots the damn thing my respect for the story creators goes up at least an order of magnitude. When they start the flapping of the gums you just know it's not going to be as good.

    ReplyDelete
  5. well all the Doc Holliday lines from Tombstone are great and I just looked up the meaning of I'm your Huckleberry, means I'm your man or the right man, so now I find out what he was referring to when he said "you're a daisy" ,means you're the best
    It may be the best western ever, loved it.

    <span> You tell 'em I'm coming! And Hell's coming with me you hear! Hell's coming with me!- Wyatt Earp</span>

    Kurt Russel is a great actor, I'd give him an oscar for his body of work, seriously, Heck lets watch Capt Ron for the 100th time 

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great list, Michael. You know I love the line from Butch Cassidy, Goldman wrote what has to be just about the finest screenplay ever for that one.

    Here's one from a western that was so low-grade that it shouldn't have had any great lines, but there was just this one from They Call Me Trinity:

    Tobias: Have you seen what faith will do?
    Bambino: It'll work, if you put it in a rifle barrel.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You and I are on the same page with regard to Kurt Russell, my friend. And one can't watch Capt. Ron too much, either.
    ;)
    Thanks, Herb.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That is another of the oh so many great lines from that fantastic films, John. Good one to add to this. Thanks very much.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That is a great addition! And you are so right about the screenplay that Goldman wrote for that film, Naomi.

    Since you and John D seem to share the same affinity for the great Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid, you might be interested a short sets of posts I wrote last year on why I thought it is such an exceptional film (Corey and Jen inspired it). If you are, they can be found here, 1, 2, 3, 4. Thanks very much.

    ReplyDelete
  10. It is a good one, Rachel. You're so right about having the bad guy just start shooting when the time comes to do it. Thanks very much.

    ReplyDelete