Saturday, September 6, 2008

Out of the Mouth of Babes

First off, I love my kids (really). And, much to the chagrin of their mother, I've successfully indoctrinated them into the music I grew up with by way of listening to L.A.'s oldest oldie station there is, K-EARTH 101. All sorts of great music has passed through their young ears--from the Beatles of pop to the soul of all the Motown greats. But, all of this backfires on their old man whenever they nostalgically reminisce to song like this and say, "Dad, remember this song from the (live action movie) Scooby-Doo 2?" Or, when they take this Monkee's tune, and wax on about it from the Shrek movies. Is nothing sacred anymore? I just roll my eyes and say, "No, I remember when it (truly) first came out on radio." Of course, none of this would happen if studio execs had an ounce of creativity anymore and stopped re-cycling ideas (and songs) in the content they now roll out to our children!!! But, I'm reacting too strongly...right?

1 comment:

  1. I've had the feeling for several years that the music industry has become just that, an industry. Nothing new, nothing interesting, not even anything fun. So I, too, keep listening to the old -- and good -- stuff. They've had 40 years to find something better than The Beatles and haven't managed it yet.

    ReplyDelete