Wednesday, April 28, 2010

My Favorite Lines From Favorite Movies Part 2

This is my continuation of an arc I started a short while back, containing some of my all-time favorite lines from the movies I never tire of watching. So, for those times when you need something to say...

The Insider
"Fame has a fifteen-minute half-life. Infamy lasts a little longer."
L.A. Confidential
"Don't start tryin' to do the right thing, boy-o. You haven't had the practice."

"Oh, great. You get the girl, I get the coroner."

"I doubt you've ever taken a stupid breath. Don't start now."
Jackie Brown
"AK-47. When you absolutely, positively got to kill every motherf****r in the room. Accept no substitutes."
His Girl Friday
Bruce: "He's got a lot of charm."
Hildy: "Yes, it comes naturally - his grandfather was a snake"
Arsenic and Old Lace
"I don't know if I can explain it to you! It's not only against the law, it's wrong!"

"Look I probably should have told you this before but you see... well... insanity runs in my family... It practically gallops."
The Two Jakes
"What I do for a living may not be very reputable, but I am. In this town, I'm the leper with the most fingers."
Tequila Sunrise
"You've lost half a million dollars, confiscated a ton of useless coke, and been responsible for the murder of a federal informant. And, that's just tonight."

"You son of a bitch! How could you do this? Friendship is the only choice in life you can make that's yours! You can't choose your family! Goddamn it, I've had to face that! No man should be judged for whatever direction his dick goes! That's like blaming a compass for pointing north, for Chrissake! Friendship is all we have. We chose each other. How could you fuck it up? How could you make us look so bad?"
Casablanca
"How extravagant you are, throwing away women like that. Some day they may be scarce."

"As the leader of all illegal activities in Casablanca, I am an influential and respected man."
The Maltese Falcon
"My guess might be excellent or it might be crummy, but Mrs. Spade didn't raise any children dippy enough to make guesses in front of a district attorney, and an assistant district attorney and a stenographer."

"I distrust a man who says 'when.' If he's got to be careful not to drink too much, it's because he's not to be trusted when he does."
Rob Roy
Archibald Cunningham: "Think of yourself a scabbard, Mistress McGregor, and I the sword. And a fine fit you were, too."
Mary MacGregor: "I will think on you dead, until my husband makes you so. And then I will think on you no more."

Technorati Tags:

Powered by ScribeFire.



Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

6 comments:

  1. I should have flown to LA for a viewing of Casablanca on the big screen that would have been sweet! 99 percent quotable, just quote the whole movie and get it over with, fantastic. 
    Since we watched "Imaginarium of Dr ........" last night this great delivery from the great Christopher Plummer was in my head.

    Star Trek The Undiscovered Country
    General Chang "Cry havoc, and let slip the dogs of war"
    <span>General Chang: We need breathing room. 
    Captain James T. Kirk: Earth, Hitler, 1938.
    General Chang: Can you see me? Oh, now be honest, Captain, warrior to warrior. You do prefer it this way, don't you, as it was meant to be? No peace in our time. "Once more unto the breach, dear friends.
    and I love all those hammy lines from the Wrath of Khan. A lot of "thees" You Know the guy with all that rich corinthian leather.

    </span>

    ReplyDelete
  2. Some good ones, here, esp. from THE INSIDER and L.A. CONFIDENTIAL.

    Some of my faves:

    ANCHORMAN:

    Ron Burgundy: Mmm. San Diego. Drink it in, it always goes down smooth. Discovered by the Germans in 1904, they named it San Diego, which of course in German means "a whale's vagina".

    WONDER BOYS:

    James Leer: Now, that is a big trunk. It holds a tuba, a suitcase, a dead dog, and a garment bag almost perfectly.
    Grady Tripp: That's just what they used to say in the ads.

    THE SPANISH PRISONER:

    "Always do business as if the person you're doing business with is trying to screw you, because he probably is. And if he's not, you can be pleasantly surprised."

    ReplyDelete
  3. Both Christopher Plummer and Ricardo Montalban were so good <span>Star Trek: The Undiscovered Country and The Wrath of Khan, and had some great lines. Thanks, Herb, for adding to this.</span>

    ReplyDelete
  4. A another wonderful set of dialogue, J.D. You've reminded me that I need to revisit Mamet's The Spanish Prisoner. Thanks, my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this set of posts; it's reminded me of so many movies I love and should go out and watch again!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for your kind words and for stopping by, Rachel.

    ReplyDelete