Tuesday, February 3, 2009

The End Month Meme

Last month Declan Burke posted this intriguing meme:

F
or simplicity’s sake I’ve kept it to one book per author, and the idea is that the last book on your list is the book you’d most like to die reading, if you had to die reading.

To wit:A long, long time in the future, in a galaxy far away, the doctor says, “Sorry, but you’ve only got a month to live.” What ten books would you re-read in your last month?
Corey and Jen have picked it up. All of them, including their commenters, have some wonderful and thoughtful things to say, along with the books for that time. Me? I only wish I could be so eloquent. I think I'm in the same league as Jen commenter (and fellow Craisie) beauvalet: "I have no idea what I would want to read then. My reading mood changes so fast." Though to her credit, she then mentions some interesting choices.

I believe I would mix some old and new for everything but the last two books on this list. For the old, I'd have to pick something from my favorite series--and since it's one per author, it'll likely be either L.A. Requiem or The Forgotten Man. The former because it's been my preferred, the latter because it just keeps rising IMO with each re-read. Next, The Odyssey--because Odysseus has always been an admired character for me...and he must get home. I'd probably throw in something of Dickens or Hemingway, too. Maybe, something from non-fiction history.

For the new, I'd pick something from the waiting stack inasmuch as I've never read them. And because it's a reminder to me that time moves in only one direction--forward. However, the last two books on the list would be reserved to the choices of others. Each of my children would get to pick one and I would have them read it to me. I wouldn't be surprised to hear Where the Wild Things Are, Goodnight Moon, or Love You Forever--stories that I read them when they were small and I was putting them down to sleep. You see, I'm an old softie, and I believe in symmetry.


4 comments:

  1. le0, you've taken the wind out of my sails and made my eyes water. That's flat-out beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awww, that's so sweet! I love it!

    BTW, L.A. Requiem is one I've thought I would put on my list, too. I really can't imagine a list without Elvis on it somewhere! And LAR still reigns as my all-time fav!

    Another BTW, what's up with the Times? They said they were going to post authors in January, now it says late February?! I'm getting excited about my trip! I want to know!!!! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You guys are too kind.

    Jen, the Times has be screwing up, of late. I hope they come out with their author list, soon. You may have also noticed that the promised recordings from last year's festival will not be published(!)--they reneged on that, $#@%!!!

    BTW, will you get a chance to sightsee L.A. when you're here? There are a lot of great places to take in (many with ties to our favorite book series).

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm certainly hoping to. My sister lives in Oceanside, and she'll still be working during the week while I'm there, so I'm not sure what I'll be able to do and where I'll be able to do it. I'll let you know more specifics when I know! I'm so excited! Just can't wait!!!

    ReplyDelete