Monday, April 27, 2009

Recommended "Cops & Crooks in CA" Summary



This past weekend was the annual L.A. Times Festival of Books, hosted on the campus of U.C.L.A. This year, book blogger Jen made her way out west to attend, too. Meeting her for the first time made this an even more special event. And both of us got to attend the bash I always look forward to: the yearly book panel with our favorite author, Robert Crais. It's ever growing popularity made this year's panel such a hard ticket to come by.

I was in a Ticketmaster line the previous weekend the very hour the tickets first became available--and even though I was fifth in line, they were sold out by my turn. Criminy!!! And all week, I kept striking out online in my attempts to acquire them, too. I thought we'd have to try our luck in the stand-by line. Luckily, I remembered that this book celebration event always held back some tickets. They disperse them on a first come, first served basis on each of the two days of the festival (starting at 9 AM on Saturday). I was more than fortunate in that my wife let me off the hook from our kid's social schedule (that parents seemly always orbit around) that morning so I could get there early enough to get in the inevitable long line.

And, tickets we did get! Finally (for Jen, her sister, and I). Simply, the panel was the best one ever that I've attended. RC moderated it, as part of the Mystery book panels, in the aptly titled, "Cops & Crooks in California". It consisted of himself, Joseph Wambaugh, Don Winslow, and T. Jefferson Parker. Can't remember all of things that made Jen and I laugh so hard. But, don't wait for me to tell you all about it. Thoughtfully, writer Naomi Johnson linked me to a wonderfully written summary of it all by blogger Obsessions of a Pop Cultured Nerd. And like Naomi, I highly recommend this two-part post as a read:

8 comments:

  1. You didn't smuggle in a camcorder by any chance? Or even a tape recorder?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish I would have. But, they took a lot of time warning the audience against any such recordings. I'm sure they want to sell their own recordings of the event ;-).

    Thanks again for the PCN link to her summary, Naomi.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Applause to you, Michael, for getting the tickets. That deserves the Robert Crais Fan of the Month Award right there. And of course, you'll want to share the award with your understanding spouse.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks so much for the kind words and referral. Wish we could've met. Your tenacity in getting tickets is impressive and I'm so glad you were ultimately successful (thanks to your lenient wife!).

    ReplyDelete
  5. Corey, PCN: yes, my virtuous & tolerant wife let's me get away with a great many things. I can see my Honey Do List growing out of this one ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Bravo! Bravo! To Michael's wife!!! I owe her big time!! I squealed in Michael's ear when he called to tell me he had gotten his hands on those hot little tickets. Michael is getting sick of me thanking him, but I wouldn't have had anywhere near as much fun in L.A. had it not been for him. This panel was hysterical. I LOVED it! Can't wait for next time, Michael! Hey, maybe you can come to St. Louis in '12 for Bouchercon and we can all hang out with RC!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Bouchercon?!? Won't you be going it this year in Indy? S.F. in 2010, I see. But, RC in 2011 St. Louis? I gotta start planning. Thanks for the idea, Jen!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yes! Unless the sky falls before October, I have every intention of going to Indy this year. Naomi and I are already planning for the St. Louis B'Con, though, since RC will be the guest of honor for that one.

    It would be awesome if all of us were there!

    ReplyDelete