Saturday, April 18, 2009

Tributes and Links

I have to commend Steven Hart for Friday's post. Not only did it ask and link some interesting metaphysical questions, but it lead to the wonderful tribute to illustrator Richard Amsel. Always loved the guy's work (without knowing his name). Which of course linked to Larry Aydlette's blog of quad posters and lobby cards. And that lead to the site that abstracts/reduces movie posters to an online/ongoing contest for visitors to guess at. Of course, you'll have know how to determine what 15.30 GMT is in your time zone to play along ;-).

4 comments:

  1. I never knew who did the artwork on The Sting one sheet. It's probably my all-time favorite movie poster. Thanks for cluing me in to Amsel, what a wonderful artist he was.

    That poster quiz is really hard, I feel really stupid.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I quite agree with your choice of The Sting. A beautifully clean design capturing the essence of the film. A great artist was Amsel. I'm still very partial to his initial and re-release of RotLA.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Raiders was a classic the instant it came out. Would be even if the film had been a giant flop.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm going over there right now. Steve so rocks! :-)

    ReplyDelete