Thursday, November 26, 2009

Happy Thanksgiving 2009

Thanksgiving is the one holiday, each year, which continues to sneak up on me. It arrives in between the costumes, candy and ghoulish delight of Halloween, and the all-consuming mayhem and tradition of Christmas. And, I am thankful that it causes me to reflect upon all of those things I'm sincerely grateful for. Primarily, my children who continue to (healthily and intellectually) grow (and manage to stay out of the ER) and amaze their old man, along with my bride of 20 years who tolerates her husband's whims and online thoughts with love and patience that only she-who-must-be-obeyed can.

As well, I'm grateful to all of those friends and bloggers who have stopped by to this ongoing archive to read and/or leave comments. My thanks to Jen, who I had the sincere pleasure to meet at this year's Festival of Books, for encouraging me to start this blog (and all because we share the same love for the fictional universe that author Robert Crais created with Elvis Cole and Joe Pike). And that Ohio connection begat another with Corey, who I owe literary thanks for some of the best reading I've experienced this year (Fifty Grand, Big City Bad Blood, Trigger City, The First Rule, etc.), and his friendship. From this, Naomi and Gay's fine story writing - which then led me to discover and befriend local and popular arts blogger, Pop Culture Nerd. And through all of them, I've been lucky to find so many other online connections:
  • a love of movies (and TV) with Dennis, John Kenneth Muir, Livius, Mr. Peel and J.D. (as only their fine writing and in-depth cinema and video examinations can express)
  • more literary experiences with Lesa, Kaye, Bev and Patricia (who shared with me some wonderful book experiences, gift ideas, and generally uplifting thoughts)
  • a continuing appreciation for those like Nordette Adams and Steven Hart who keep on delighting me with their thought-provoking words, music, and insights
  • fine and creative authors like Crais, Sophie Littlefield, Sean Chercover, Adrian McKinty, Pam Ward, and Gregg Hurwitz who took the time to converse or write back (and for providing wonderful content for their fans to drink in)
  • new blogger friends I travel virtually with in the southeast (Herb & Laura), and share an appreciation of movies and horror (here, in B-Sol, and across the pond, in Steve)
  • and I cannot forget that the inter-tubes found good friends who share a love of popular music with Moondancer, and in Mexico with Poncho (and that's he's likely my distant cousin!)

I am beholden to you all. My sincerest thanks.


Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

8 comments:

  1. Your blog has certainly brightened up my online reading, and I'm honourred to be mentioned in this post. Have a really nice day, my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a beautiful post and so appropriate for the day. Thank YOU for all you do. And I hope you and she-who-must-be-obeyed and the young'uns all have a wonderful Thanksgiving.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for the words, cousin.

    I do think it's amazing we might be related and I'm thankful for finding this space of yours... and that you're a Beatles' fan!!

    Have an amazing Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for the kind comment. It is a pleasure to keep in touch. I'm thankful the world of blogging has brought so many wonderful people into my life, who I never would have "met" otherwise.

    I hope your Thanksgiving was as nice as your comments. (Now, are you ready for the next part - the approaching hubbub?)

    Lesa - http://www.lesasbookcritiques.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. My friend, you give so much more than you take from all of us. I am blessed to call you my friend and I look forward to the next time we can meet up...hopefully April! :) I hope your Thanksgiving was wonderful and give my best to the entire family!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. A little late to the party as usual, but thanks and I hope the holiday was a good one for you and yours.

    Colin

    ReplyDelete
  7. Have a great Thanksgiving mate.

    Gregg Hurwitz? The man's a legend.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for the shout-out, my friend! I always enjoy reading your blog and always look forward to a new post from you.

    ReplyDelete