Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Two Greats from the Dark Side

Perhaps, it's because I'm listening to Jane Mayer's excellent non-fiction book, The Dark Side, but I feel the need to post on two of my favorite films by Frank Capra. Both were released within two years of each other. At first glance, they are very different from each other, but each have some very similar traits (like great direction, cast, screenplay, etc.)--including a central dark element. The first is the 1944 Arsenic and Old Lace (though it was filmed in 1941 before Capra went to work making movies for the WWII War Dept). For family movie night on the last weekend in November, my wife suggested this movie because she didn't want to get into any Christmas movie (the kids were clamoring for) before December arrived. The family's reaction to it, and critic's pick, caused the itch that this post intends to scratch it with.

This post has been moved and updated to my current blog, which can be found here.

2 comments:

  1. 'Zuzu's petals!' le0, what a great post. AaOL really showed the world what great comedic timing Grant had. And as for IaWL, well, heck, you said it all. If I were ever to make a list of my favorite films I know these two would be right there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Corey. IaWL is one of those films that offers so much to the viewer. It is like a work of Dickens, but wrapped in Americana.

    As for AaOL, my wife and I just laughed our heads off--joined by the kids...right up to the part when Mortimer sits trussed up ;-).

    ReplyDelete