Thursday, November 13, 2008

The Required Amount of Consolation

Besides the summer movies that I looked so forward to, and now have come and gone, my other highly anticipated film is set to arrive tomorrow. The Quantum of Solace:
Maybe it's because of my age and that my formative years
included watching this movie series from a young age. Or,
maybe that's it just plain escapist fun to go into a large
movie theater and get blasted by story and special effects
and forget about the world for two hours.

Either way, I'm so there this weekend--but being the
responsible parent that I am, I'm taking the kids to
Madagascar 2, as well (out of sheer guilt). So, if you've
enjoyed 007, try answering these questions:
  1. which was the first Bond film you ever saw?
  2. was it in a movie theater or in the comfort of your own home?
  3. who were you with?
  4. have you seen them all?
  5. which of these is your all-time favorite?
  6. your least favorite?
  7. which of the actors portraying Bond is your favorite?
  8. which of them is your least favorite?
  9. which is your favorite Bond girl?
  10. and your least favorite?
Here are my answers:
  1. Goldfinger
  2. theater, in 1964
  3. my mother's younger brother took this 10-year-old with him on its first run
  4. yes!
  5. Goldfinger, but From Russia with Love is a close second ;-)
  6. View to a Kill (Roger Moore too old at that point, story that dated too quickly, bad Bond girl (see below), bad henchwoman)
  7. Sean Connery, no surprise, right? (but I do find Daniel Craig's portrayal intriguing)
  8. George Lazenby (and it frustrates me no end that he was in the best story of the series, and with the best Bond girl)
  9. Diana Rigg (pure class--though I have a special place in my heart for Honor Blackman [who has the best name in the entire series ;-)]
  10. tie between Tanya Roberts and Lois Chiles
Cheers!

5 comments:

  1. Interesting blog. I don't know what year you were born, but I'd guess you (like Obanma) are not a late late boomer, but rather part of Generation Jones, born '54-'65 between the Boomers and Xer.

    You may have noticed, like I have, that there’s been quite a bit of buzz about GenJones in the context of this election; I saw several discussions on national TV about Obama being a Joneser, as well as about GenJones voters being a key swing vote.

    You may find this link interesting, my friends and I have been linking people to this page because we think it matters: it has a bunch of print excerpts and videos of big time publications (e.g. The New York Times, Newsweek, etc.) and pundits (e.g. David Brooks, Clarence Page, etc.) all talking about Obama’s identity as part of Generation Jones: http://www.generationjones.com/2008election.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for your comment. I will definitely take a serious look at the GenJones site.

    ReplyDelete
  3. 1. From Russia With Love
    2. at a drive-in theatre
    3. a first-date. There was no second date.
    4. No.
    5. Goldeneye
    6. Never Say Never Again
    7. Pierce Brosnan
    8. Lazenby
    9. Barbara Bach
    10. Does Grace Jones count as a Bond girl?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, Grace Jones counts as a Bond girl. And, Bach is gorgeous and a great Bond girl.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Michael...I gave you a bookworm award on my blog if you'd like to play along...

    ReplyDelete